Last summer was filled with many experiences like these. I learned more about my family, my friends, and myself. It was filled with a lot of personal growth. In my opinion, I grew more last year than I have in almost the entirety of my lifetime. I made one of the biggest decisions of my life, and I am happier because of it.
To start with, only 2 weeks after the spring semester ended, my best friend and I flew to New York for a week with practically no agenda. It ended up being one of the best weeks of my life, and I discovered that I actually can travel and explore solo, with no tour guide, and no parents. I also discovered that sometimes in the process of being a tourist and trying to see everything, you can forget about what you're already immersed in. One morning we spent just exploring Central Park, trying and failing to read the map. It ended up being one of my favorite parts of the trip, and we went back to explore Central Park again multiple times after that. This trip also helped me not to focus on the opinions of others. I found that when Jackie and I were just being the stupid idiots we were and only focused on each other, we forgot about others opinions of us and didn't care. I loved this trip so much, and one day, we will take more trips like this. Paris, maybe? ;)
Another trip I took with my family later in the summer helped me realize that my upbringing is so different from that of my families. I was so used to my parents watching out for me and making sure I was safe that having the tables turned was an interesting experience. This time, I was looking out for someone about 3 times my age, and making sure that they were safe constantly. This was probably good practice for the future, when I have children. My parents also treated me differently on this trip, allowing me to explore by myself more often which was nice. It means they're realizing I have grown up some and they can trust me more now.
This summer will once again be summer of new experiences. I plan to change yet again and become a happier and healthier person. I have already started doing this, but the process is somewhat challenging for me, especially the healthier aspect. Working out is not a pleasant experience to me whatsoever, but I am determined. Eating healthier has been challenging as well. Anyone have quick and easy recipes? No? Ok. I also plan to do much more reading. It's my favorite thing and lately it seems I have not had the pleasure of doing so. But I have already have a nice little stack for this summer just waiting to be read and re-read, so I am pretty excited about that.
Travel will also happen this summer, as it always does with my family. This summer we are possibly going on a cruise for the first time, which will be a new and interesting experience. I have never been on one, and we're going somewhere that I have always wanted to visit, so I am very excited. I will definitely write about it when it happens.
But the biggest event this summer for me is that I am studying abroad. I am a little nervous because it is something I have never done before and I am traveling with people I have only met in meetings, but I am also extremely excited. I think this experience will help me to learn about my interactions with others, and also how I travel solo in place I have never been and frankly, know almost nothing about. I plan to gain a lot during this experience and will leave with the intent of doing so.
Well if you're still reading, thank you! This was such a long post but I am glad I wrote it. Sometimes it's better to write down your thoughts and feelings, and realize just how far you have come. I have come a long way in the past two years since I graduated high school, and I am proud of that, but I still have a long way to go. So here's to another summer of amazing experiences and growth!
Madeline

No comments:
Post a Comment